The Reds came into this game with confidence and momentum after convincing wins in their last 2 fixtures. And that momentum continued from the first whistle.  The first half was one way traffic with Worthing on the back foot and struggling to keep possession in the face of the Red’s passing game. This paid dividends with the first goal on 10 mins from Ellis after he was released down the middle and made no mistake with a clinical finish from 15 yards.

The first half continued in the same vein with Max and Fred going close with log range efforts. The second goal was only a matter of time and was provided by Finley capitalising on some lax marking on the right hand side and proceeded to bury his strike in the bottom left corner. The Reds did not relax with a 2 goal cushion and continued to play a neat passing game and creating numerous chances which resulted in a third goal from Ellis -a similar move to his first goal. His power down the middle left the defence for dead and his finish was just as clinical as his first.

The defence had an excellent half and dominated first ball possession. Aaron was particularly strong with controlled headers and intelligent positioning.

Worthing came out in the second half determined to make a go of it and did not disappoint. They applied some early pressure and Calum (GK) was called into action to deny a goal with a great block. Their efforts did result in a goal. A soft free kick 25 yards out on the right of the box resulting in a brilliant stike which sailed into the top corner. This only served to inspire the Reds who retook control of the game and added a 4th 3 minutes later, A great team goal orchestrated by Thomas who picked out Finley at the far post who made no mistake for his second. The Reds kept up the pressure with only the woodwork denying Max for what would have been a contender for goal of the season. He got his reward 2 minutes later when poking home a loose ball in a goal mouth scramble to make it 5.  With a few minutes left Bailey, who had gone close 3 times, finally got his goal with a great run down the left and beat the keeper at his near post.

A great performance from the whole team. Solid in defence, creative in midfield and clinical in attack. The game was played in a good spirit from both sides and supporters. Last season we were evenly matched with this team so this result is a good indicator on the progress we are making.

The Reds now sit joint top of the league and are unbeaten in 3 games.  There will be tougher games ahead but confidence is high and we look forward to the challenge.

Geoff Naylor ( Asst mgr)